Greenland Kayak “Qajaq” Classes are specialty classes that teaches people a relaxed style of paddling. I am offering five different types of classes on Sunday in Tampa Bay, FL. To schedule a time email me at email@example.com or call my mobile phone 727.204.8810
If you are new to kayaking or if you have paddled longer than you have been alive, you have probably have heard of Greenland Kayaking. The term can refer to kayak design, paddle style, and or rolling recovery. For an estimated 4,000 years hunters have used the qajaq throughout the arctic circle from Alaska to Greenland to feed their families.
I offer five Greenland kayak classes in Florida on using a Greenland style paddle. I have also written a few blog posts on this topic. Below are descriptions of classes and some blog and video links.
- Basic / Intro Paddling Strokes, $75 three hour class, Thinking about trying Greenland traditional style kayaking, but not sure you want to commit to the ACA Intro to Traditional Qajaq Skills full-day class? Then, this is the perfect course for you. Learn the basics – safety, lingo and how to maneuver a kayak – in three fun-filled hours. In this comprehensive course students also learn how to lessen the chances of capsizing a kayak from a breaking wave or boat wake. Paddlers will work to develop low and high brace recovery strokes; as well as, learn that sculling is just about playing with degrees of wetness. Be sure to follow this one up with a self-recovery class and you will be off to a great start.
- Rolling “Self Recovery Techniques in the event of a capsize”, $50 private instruction, Explore the unique world between being upright and capsized. And students will discover a relaxed, safe, and reliable rolling techniques for the calm to the small craft advisory days. ($35 for repeat sessions)
- ACA Intro to Traditional Qajaq Skills kayak class, $85 eight hours of instruction $95 for non American Canoe Association members. Here you will learn why the Greenlanders are the masters of the roll. Part of the class will be an exhibition of many effortless rolls. We will practice paddling, sculling, balance braces, and rolls. You will work on learning to roll or for those having a solid roll, you may learn a new one. Having a Greenland style kayak with a low back and Greenland paddle really helps with this clinic.
- Greenland Kayak weekend package, Three hours of private instruction on Saturday, and a semi private catered kayak trip on Sunday. $100
- Toothpicks for Everyone, Land based lecture class, Thinking about why your fellow paddlers are using 8,000-year-old technology to paddle their kayaks. Or, you want to know how a Greenland style paddle can be good for your body. Request this Lecture class for your group of friends and learn another way of going green.